The average American eats approximately 270.7 pounds of meat a year. Only 1 other country eats more meat than us in the world the tiny country of Luxembourg, which consumes 301.4 pounds per person.The average American male weighs in at 196 pounds. Just think about this the typical American male eats a person and a half each year in meat. Amazing, shocking, saddening YES, these are all adjectives I would use to describe our addiction to meat.
Today is Meatless Monday!
What is Meatless Monday you may ask? Meatless Monday is a global movement started in 2003 by Sid Lerner in association with the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. It’s a movement designed to get humans to eat less meat at least once a week.
I take part in this movement I have cut out meat on Monday’s and most days of the week. I do try to eat meat maybe once or twice a week, mainly on the weekends, when eating out is more prevalent.
As I stated before I do partake in the Meatless Monday movement. It actually makes me feel better. I have more energy, less bloated and a huge benefit for me, I recover quicker from a tough workout. I started following the Meatless Monday over a year ago. It’s a wonderful feeling, not only does this keep me healthy but it is also good for the environment.
A few interesting tidbits on Meatless Monday
- There are over 44 countries and growing who have signed up for the Meatless Monday.
- Sir Paul McCartney was an early adopter of Meatless Monday.
- Eating less meat even one day a week can help reduce some of the biggest killers of adults, such as heart disease and stroke, certain cancers, helps fight diabetes.
- You will save money at the grocery store and doctor.
- It takes approximately 1,850 gallons of water to produce a single pound of beef.
- In contrast it takes around 39 gallons of water to produce a pound of vegetables.
- Lastly, studies show eating less meat helps reduce greenhouse gases, which are a leading factor in warming up this planet.
- Meatless Monday word usage 10 times and counting!
Meatless Monday is here to stay. There are many benefits to limiting meat consumption even 1 day a week. We can all help out the environment and our own health by eating less meat and more plants.
The internet is full of recipes and ideas for tasty foods sans meat.
A few of my favorites are Black Bean Burgers ,which I eat at least once or twice a week at times. To me they taste better than a big ole juicy hamburger now. I prefer the black bean burger over a regular hamburger. They are far more tasty and healthy, plus I am not bloated after eating one or 2!. They are delicious and full of vitamins and minerals our body needs. Also another favorite is Farmer’s Market Vegetarian Quesadillas they can be found on the All Recipes website. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of non meat recipes to try.
A final Question:
Do you participate in Meatless Monday? If so how long and what are a few foods you eat on Meatless Monday?